Here at MCA Wellness Clinic our goal is to be therapeutic and goal oriented while providing you the experience and relaxation that you desire from an effective massage therapy session. Our highly skilled RMTs utilize a variety of techniques to efficiently and effectively reach whatever outcome you are wanting and expecting.
We have state of the art comfortable hydraulic massage tables, bolsters as needed, hydrotherapy, aromatherapy, hot stones, and cupping to name a few of the tools our skilled therapists maximize to help you achieve your goal. Whether it is deep tissue or relaxation we have you covered. Check out the specific biographies to get an idea of each therapists specialties.
Massage therapy is a comprehensive intervention involving a range of techniques to manipulate the soft tissues and joints of the body. The purpose of massage therapy is to prevent, develop, maintain, rehabilitate or augment physical function or relieve pain (Massage Therapy Act, 1991). It is a clinically-oriented health option that achieves undeniable results in the relief of an array of discomforts stemming from stress, muscular overuse and many chronic pain syndromes.
Use a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT); it's in your best interest!
It’s in your best interest to seek a therapist that is registered. Why? An RMT...
1. has completed a 2-3 year program at a recognized school of massage therapy;
2. has passed an entry-to-practice examination that ensures they have the competencies necessary to safely and effectively offer massage therapy services;
3. must participate in a Quality Assurance program with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario, a program that assist in the maintenance of professional standards and quality care;
4. is accountable to the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario, through the complaints and discipline processes, in the event that the services they provide to not meet the standards of practice;
5. provides a receipt that will be accepted by your extended health benefits plan for reimbursement (provided you plan covers massage therapy).
6. There are tremendous benefits to be achieved through regular massage therapy treatments from a Registered Massage Therapist. Whether your need is to have a moment of relaxation, reduce muscle tension or attain relief from chronic pain, a therapeutic massage can enhance your overall sense of emotional and physical well-being as well as your quality of life.
Massage therapy benefits people of all ages. While it benefits the injured, the ill and the stressed, the strength of massage therapy in preventing illness and conditions before they develop cannot be overlooked. Massage therapy can be used in the treatment of both acute and chronic stages of conditions.
Swedish Massage is the most common massage practice in the west, results such as; improving circulation; relieving joint stiffness and reducing pain are achieved using long, flowing strokes and a combination of more specific, involved techniques including, myofascial, hydrotherapy and deep tissue massage.
ACTIVE LIFESTYLE/SPORTS MASSAGE
Despite popular belief, sports massage is not just beneficial for athletes and people with active lifestyles it can also help people with injuries, chronic pain and restricted range of motion. This type of massage utilizes Swedish massage techniques to stimulate circulation of blood and lymph fluids.
There are four types of sports massage:
1. Pre-event: a fast paced, stimulating massage (usually no longer than 15min) focused specifically on the muscles that will be used during the event or game to improve function.
2. Post-event: applied within an hour of the event to normalize the tissue.
3. Restorative: massage during training to enhance muscle function allowing the athlete to train harder.
4. Rehabilitative: directed toward alleviating pain due to injury.
Prenatal massage shares many of the same intended outcomes as "regular" massage; to relieve pain; relax sore muscles and to improve range of motion and mobility (important goals during pregnancy), but it is also modified to fit the needs of the pregnant patient and their changing bodies. Most often, the patient is placed in a side-lying position and bolstered with many pillows for optimal comfort and allowing proper blood flow to both mother and baby. For patient comfort we also offer the exceptional Pregnancy Massage Cushion Set with a full body bolster to allow for pregnant women to lay on their stomach with ease to receive a more therapeutic and relaxing massage.
Hydrotherapy is the use of water (in many different forms) hot and cold, to treat any number of conditions from inflammation to muscles spasms, specific scar-work and rehabilitation of broken bones, sprains, strains and even post-surgical intervention.
The incredible results that can be seen when hydrotherapy is used in conjunction with massage cannot be ignored. At MCA Wellness clinic our massage rooms have UV hot towel warmers, thermaphore heating pads and table warmers as well as access to other hydrotherapy needs.
Cupping is an ancient Chinese technique in which suction is created with a cup-like device and then passed over sections of the body to encourage blood flow and local circulation. Although it is a technique often used in TCM, it is also a tool widely used by massage therapists
in conjunction with manual therapy. Judy Peleck is well trained in utilizing cupping during massages.
HOT STONE MASSAGE
Hot stone massage is the practice of heating smooth stones and placing them on various areas of the body during a massage. They can either be left on tense spots or used by hand to aid in heating and relaxing sore muscles, and it feels nothing short of amazing. Victoria Harrison will help ease those sore muscles as she incorporates Hot Stone Massage Sessions.
DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE
Deep tissue massage is a form of massage therapy that is focused on affecting the deep layers of muscle and connective tissue in the body. Typically deep pressure and slow movements are combined to concentrate the treatment on deeper, more invested structures in the body.
There are many different techniques that are used in the treatment of fascia. Fascia is a layer of fibrous connective tissue that surrounds muscles, groups of muscles, blood vessels and nerves. Fascia is an incredibly important and influential structure in your body. Through various massage techniques, we are able to change, manipulate and effect the very way that your body interacts with itself. These techniques have a profound effect on basic biomechanics and tissue function.
Strain counter-strain is a very effective type of "passive positional release" used by manual practitioners . Very specific treatment positions are held for 90 seconds to encourage the release of tight and painful muscles. There is an immediate reduction of tension and pain in the tissue being treated. This gentle technique is effective for a variety of orthopaedic conditions such as; sciatic nerve pain, headaches and tendinitis/tendinosis
Breast massage can be beneficial for both women and men. Often used to treat patients throughout their breast cancer journey, it is also very effective in the treatment of patients with heavy scarring for example; post-mastectomy; lumpectomy; breast augmentation/ reduction etc. as well as for the relief of breast pain and congestion stemming from various causes, and maintaining health breast tissue.
Many patients suffering from chronic back pain do not realize that much of their pain is due to short, tight muscles in the front of their body, breast massage is an extremely effective way of treating those deep and very important muscles.